Category

Countries

Borealis Set to Launch Polyolefins Compounding Line Using Recyclate in Belgium
Borealis Set to Launch Polyolefins Compounding Line Using Recyclate in Belgium

Borealis Set to Launch Polyolefins Compounding Line Using Recyclate in Belgium

  • 07-Jun-2024 3:22 PM
  • Journalist: Peter Schmidt

Borealis is excited to unveil the installation of a semi-commercial demonstration line for recyclate-based polyolefins (rPO) compounding in Beringen, Belgium. Construction is slated to commence in 2024, with full operational status anticipated by the first half of 2025.

Employing Borealis' cutting-edge BorcycleTM M technology, the advanced line will convert mechanically recycled post-consumer waste into premium-grade rigid polypropylene (PP) and polyethylene (PE) materials. With the capacity to handle a wide spectrum of recyclate flakes from various PP and high-density polyethylene (HDPE) waste origins, this innovative line promises outstanding adaptability and versatility.

Functioning as a semi-commercial demonstration line, it will demonstrate the capabilities of Borcycle M technology in generating mechanically recycled solutions tailored to meet the stringent requirements of high-performance applications across sectors such as mobility, consumer goods, appliances, and energy. Through this initiative, the line will assist Borealis' clients in seamlessly incorporating value-enhanced recycled plastics into their product portfolios, all while ensuring top-notch performance standards are maintained.

This investment will bolster Borealis' recyclate processing and compounding capacity, fostering invaluable operational expertise and technological insights into recyclate processing. Such knowledge will be instrumental in facilitating Borealis' efforts to scale up this groundbreaking technology.

This action aligns with Borealis' recent acquisitions of the recyclate-based compounding business Rialti and advanced mechanical recycler Integra, showcasing its steadfast dedication to expediting the transition toward a circular economy for plastics.

Mirjam Mayer, Borealis' Vice President of Circular Economy Solutions, emphasizes the company's commitment to assisting customers in achieving their sustainability objectives while upholding stringent quality benchmarks. She highlights this initiative as another stride in Borealis' EverMindsTM ambition to enhance its proficiency in repurposing plastic waste into high-value applications.

Borealis stands as a global leader in providing advanced and eco-friendly polyolefin solutions. Particularly in Europe, Borealis holds a pioneering position in polyolefins recycling and serves as a significant base chemicals producer. Leveraging their polymer expertise and extensive experience, Borealis delivers value-added, innovative, and circular material solutions across vital sectors such as consumer products, energy, healthcare, infrastructure, and mobility. With a presence in over 120 countries and its headquarters in Vienna, Austria, Borealis employs approximately 6,000 individuals. In 2023, the company achieved a net profit of EUR 216 million. Borealis is predominantly owned by OMV, an integrated energy, fuels, feedstock, chemicals, and materials company headquartered in Vienna, Austria, holding 75% of its shares. The remaining 25% is owned by the Abu Dhabi National Oil Company (ADNOC), based in the United Arab Emirates (UAE). Committed to safety, innovation, technology, and performance excellence, Borealis is dedicated to reinventing essentials for sustainable living. They are driving the transition to a circular economy for polyolefins and expanding their global presence to better serve customers worldwide. Additionally, Borealis operates with two significant joint ventures: Borouge (in collaboration with ADNOC, headquartered in the UAE) and Baystar™ (with TotalEnergies, based in the US).

Related News

Global HDPE Market Stabilise in Late June, Hurricane Season in the USA Poses a Supply Threat
  • 03-Jul-2024 6:56 PM
  • Journalist: Robert Hume
Dow and Fiori Group Sign MoU to Develop Sustainable Mobility Solutions
  • 02-Jul-2024 12:25 PM
  • Journalist: Rene Swann
BPCL Chooses Univation’s PE Process for New Production Lines in India
  • 27-Jun-2024 8:55 PM
  • Journalist: Nina Jiang
Dow Expands Mechanical Recycling with Acquisition of Circulus, North American Polyethylene Recycler
  • 21-Jun-2024 2:17 PM
  • Journalist: Nicholas Seifield